For example, because the skin on the nose is very thin for Caucasian, there is a high probability of side effects such as obvious signs of the implanted material. Consequently, we prefer to use autologous tissue from one's cartilage for Caucasian patients. Also, nose augmentation such as rhinoplasty (nose job) is uncommon among Caucasian and because the amount of dorsum nasi to be increased is usually in iteself, a small amount of cartilage is required for surgery.
The amount needed for rhinoplasty (nose job) for Asians are much more, thus, the Rhinoplasty (nose job) using the autologous procedure is limited, and we cannot specify only one type of implant because we have to consider other factors such as one's skin condition.
Therefore, it is important in rhinoplasty (nose job) to use the most suitable implant for each patient after understanding the nature and advantages of various materials.
Type of Autologous procedure
1. Conchal Cartilage (Ear cartilage)
As autologous cartilage is often usded for rhinoplasty (nose surgery). It is also the most easily colleced.
- It is often used for heightening the tip of the nose.
- It is applicable for minutely heightening the bridge.
- It is aaplicable for correction of the cartilage on th etip of the nose
- It is applicable for correction on the narrow cave-in between columella nasi and philtrum.
2. Septal Cartilage (Nose cartilage)
- Since we are collecting the septum inside of nostril, there is no need for extra incisions to gather other cartilages like the ear.
- Since the septum cartilage is straight and regular material, it is most suitable for being used as a support on the columella nasi.
(by setting up the support on columella nasi, the tip of the nose gets lifted while the nostril and ala become lengthened, thus creating a refined shape.)
- It has a wide range of uses and can also be used as a material to lift up the tip of the nose after it is sculpted.
- It can be used in rhinoplasty, lengthening the nose or correcting a button nose.
3. Rib Cartilage (Chest Cartilage)
The use of the costal cartilage after collection. The cartilag ein the chest has little possibility of inflammation and has a sufficient amount for collection; therefore, it used appropriately for rhinoplasty, it can be a very usefulmaterial.
Advantage of Chest Cartilage
- A relatively great amount of cartilage can be collected
- It is a useful substitution cartilage if the cartilage in the ears or septum(nose) is not available
- It has a wide range of application and can be used both for correction on the tip of the nose and bridge rhinoplasty
- When chest incision has to be done (in recent surgical procedures, incision is done on less obstrusive parts, so it is less worrisome)
- After a long period of time, the cartilage that is placed in the nose can start to tweak a little
- Although rare, when cartilage is collected, pneumothorax can occur
Examples of when the chest cartilage can be used
- if there is no other cartilage available
- if the nasal bone is dented or tranformed due to serious injuries
- if you have experienced frequent inflammation
- if it is a seriously upturned nose
- if due to illegal injections, the adhering scar tissue inside the nose is seriously damaged
Derma fat (auto derma) is when the derma of skin and fat tissue are simultaneously collected by connecting them together. It is mainly used after being collected from the tailbone between the hips or groin, and it is usually used to heighten the bridge or the tip of the nose.
Advantage of Dermal fat
- Because it is a soft tissue, the skin of the nose rarely gets thinner or red.
- It is easily connected
- The possibility of inflammation is very low.
- It has the smaller percentage of absorption than fat graft
- Two Months after surgery you can touch your nose with your hands without it being a problem
- It is hard to precisely predict the percentage of absortion
- It is hard to predict the extent of recovery after surgery
The fascia is a pellicle which wraps the muscle. The fascia mainly used for rhinoplasty is a temporal muscle (a muscle inside the scalp and above the ears). It is an easy procedure with an incision on the scalp and making th escar invisible. It is used for heightening the middle of the forehead or preventing the implants to be visible on thin skin.